The aim of this Competition was to design a temporary, free standing INFORMATION PAVILION within the world famous Trafalgar Square in the Heart of London during the 2012 Olympic Games.The competition hopes to achieve the following:
- Encourage and reward design excellence at a small scale which integrates function, structure, details
and the spirit of the games.
- Research, respond to and highlight the unique aspects of designing an information pavilion that will be used by visitors during the games.
- Encourage the employment of sustainable design in all aspects of the proposal.
Trafalgar Square is positioned in the heart of London and is one of the most famous squares in the world. It is also one of the most visited tourist attraction and the stage for many great celebrations and events.
The square consists of a large central area surrounded by roadways on three sides, and stairs leading to the world-renowned National Gallery on the other. Nelson’s Column rises rather majestically at the centre guarded by four lion statues at its base and surrounded by fountains.
There are four corner plinth on the square displaying heroic triumphs of which one (known as the Empty Plinth or Fourth Plinth) is currently used as a display plinth for changing pieces of contemporary
art and performance.
PROGRAM AND SPACE USED
The new pavilion design program should create a social space incorporating the following spaces:
- Information area: a 25 m2 space including a reception desk(s) for visitors. This aera should also aim to provide a sign posting service for visitors.
- Souvenir shop area: a 25 m2 space where the Games souvenirs will be sold. This should directly connect to the information area.
- Café: a 100 m2 space where 20 tables for 4 people each will be situated together with a small area for snack food concession.
- Big screen for direct live event display, replay, news and interviews screening connected with the café and also with the square.
- Facilities: a 20m2 space 4 toilet cubicles, note: toilets will be used by staff and café
- Administration: a 30 m2 space destined for offices, changing room and
storage. Connected with the TV live news.
- Plant: a 20m2 space to contain an independent water tank, cleaning
and electricity system.
- One emergency exit.
TOTAL AREA: approximately 250 m2